After a more accurate inspection, it appears that MPolynomialRing_polydict is
in quite a bad shape. First of all it redefines __call__ which, if I read [1]
correctly, should not be done. Second, within the many cases in __call__ one
can find:

{{{
510         elif isinstance(x, dict):
511             K = self.base_ring()
512             return MPolynomial_polydict(self, {i: K(a) for i, a in
iteritems(x)})
}}}

and few lines below

{{{
561         if isinstance(x, dict):
562             return MPolynomial_polydict(self, x)
}}}

Clearly some housekeeping is in order. I'll try to do something about it and then post again. Any input is welcome
S.

[1]
http://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/thematic_tutorials/coercion_and_categories.html#coercion-the-basics

* Simon King <simon.k...@uni-jena.de> [2018-11-22 14:10:14]: