On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 at 06:07, parisse <bernard.pari...@ujf-grenoble.fr>
wrote:

> Le dimanche 9 décembre 2018 20:44:30 UTC+1, Dima Pasechnik a écrit :
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 9, 2018 at 1:42 PM parisse <bernard...@ujf-grenoble.fr>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Efficient code does not depend on how you handle it (git, svn or
>> tarballs or whatever).
>>
>> Efficiency of handling code does depend upon this; fixing a trivial
>> C++ issue in Giac takes 10 times longer (and takes 10 times more time
>> and effort from the community around Giac) than in a similar system
>> hosted, say, on github.
>>

> Let me remind you that Giac source code is available on Geogebra SVN.

this is not mentioned on Giac pages, and if I ever heard about it I
blissfully forgot. I did check a couple of times.
I take it that you either do not use svn at all or prefer outsiders not to
be aware of it.
What is the relation between giac source tarballs and that svn?

Obviously, I have better things to do than duplicating repositories,
> especially if the handling software is not the same that the software I'm
> used too.
> If you want to fix an issue in my code, the fastest way is to send a bug
> report on the Xcas forum. Then I usually fix the bug in a couple of days. I
> don't understand how it could take 10 times more effort from the community.

I estimated the time it took to get patches needed for Giac to support
clang 6.0.1.
Several times I had to download Giac tarballs, tried to build etc,
only to discover that not all the things I reported were fixed, so I had to
produce new patches, report them again and again. Took hours, in total,
spread over several days.
Whereas with VCS in place and used right it should have taken minutes, not
hours.

Actually, I think you just want to coerce me to follow your rules. But
> well, I have the opposite view than you, the way sage handles bug reports
> and so would take me 10 * more time than the way I work.

no, I merely do not want to waste my time on you being unable to
efficiently utilise my work.
And I am sure I am not alone in this sentiment, it must be common among
people trying to help you to mak Giac better.
Thanks goodness you do not require changes to be mailed to you on floppy
disks :-)

>> > And I don't think different practices is the real reason why Giac
>> was/is mostly ignored here.
>>
>> When ODK proposal was being written, we still tried getting Giac to
>> stop changing distribution tarballs without bumping up version
>> numbers...
>>

> Pfff! My guess is that people were not really interested in giac (and did
> not really check it) because they have access to magma when it comes to
> large computations where giac has more efficient code than singular.
> Ok, I'll stop here.

no, Magma is not common, especially outside the US. I never published
anything that used Magma.
(no, in fact once I did, my coauthors used error-correcting codes produced
by Magma).

> Fortunately, there are constructive people in the community, I'd like to
> thank Samuel Lelièvre and William Stein who managed to open me an account
> on a multi-CPU server.

I could have offered to open you an account on a multicore server, but it
would actually be a commercial cloud server, not a “university” server
(perhaps that’s what you actually got from Samuel and William :-)). I
cannot give anyone access to Oxford university servers, without lengthly
paperwork, and in the end it would be a 10-year old Linux cluster with
outdated software and hardware...