On 2019-01-04 10:22, John Cremona wrote:
Some of the runs I have been doing use a large amount of RAM and some
fail

"fail" in which sense? I assume you mean a PariError saying that the stack overflowed but I can only guess...

One is suppose to be able to increase this using the following syntax
sage: pari.default('parisizemax', 12000000000)
but that raises a run-time error

That error is actually a PARI "feature". It's one of the many curious implementation details of the PARI stack. The idea is that you shouldn't change the stack size during a computation. So the error forces the running computation to abort.

In GP this error is silenced but you can still see its effect:

gp> a=1; default(parisizemax, 1000000000); a=2
  ***   Warning: new maximum stack size = 1000001536 (953.676 Mbytes).
gp> a
%2 = 1

Note that the "a=2" is not executed!

Now to solutions: I would recommend using pari.allocatemem(sizemax=N) to change the stack size. That is handled a lot better by cypari2.