On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 8:56:09 AM UTC-7, Dima Pasechnik wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Jun 2019 16:50 John H Palmieri, <jhpalm...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:

>>> Not only. As Volker said in the initial message of the thread, Python is
>>> a dependency of the Sage binaries.
>>>

>> Although Sage binaries come with functioning builds of Python, so we
>> could conceivably use those if there is no system Python.
>>

> it is a chicken vs egg problem. One needs system python to install Sage
> first.

When I was trying to fix some problem in relocate-once.py, I tried using
Sage's Python to execute it, and that seemed to work. Another fix arose, so
it still uses the system Python, but it is possible that Sage's Python
could be used to run relocate-once.py. What else do we need the system
Python for?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-devel/f2f8695f-28e9-436b-9f7d-4bf4b4d79616%40googlegroups.com.