Dear sage-devel,

on the downloads page http://www.sagemath.org/download.html there are links
to several mirrors, and one of them (FU Berlin) uses the FTP protocol:

    ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/unix/misc/sage/index.html

This page can be viewed in Firefox, but not in Chromium or Google Chrome,
due to the following:

    Rendering FTP resources (removed)
    https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/6199005675520000

What happens instead is that the HTML file is downloaded. This is very
confusing for new users.
(Particularly for my students [in Germany], who will be visiting the
downloads page later this month.)

One may disagree with the behavior of Chromium/Chrome, but it is a fact
that they have a large user base.
So I propose removing ftp:// links from the main downloads page(s),
preferably soon.
If not removing, then I would at least add a warning next to the link.
Of course it is preferable to replace the link with a more accessible one
eventually.

Best regards,
Ricardo