I tried that already, but:

confetti:sage dcoudert$ brew install gettext
Warning: gettext 0.20.1 is already installed and up-to-date
To reinstall 0.20.1, run `brew reinstall gettext`
confetti:sage dcoudert$ brew link --force gettext
Warning: Refusing to link macOS provided/shadowed software: gettext
If you need to have gettext first in your PATH run:
  echo 'export PATH="/usr/local/opt/gettext/bin:$PATH"' >> ~/.bash_profile

For compilers to find gettext you may need to set:
  export LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/opt/gettext/lib"
  export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/opt/gettext/include"

even setting the LDFLAGS and CPPFLAGS, I still get
Checking whether SageMath should install SPKG iconv...
./configure: line 20606: AM_ICONV: command not found
configure: no suitable system package found for SPKG iconv

I can work with that for now.

Best,
David.