On Saturday, April 18, 2020 at 1:51:29 PM UTC-7, John H Palmieri wrote:

> Some disadvantages:
>
> - It adds one step or a least requires the typing of some extra characters
> - It's not what we're used to doing to build Sage.

Isn't it possible to have a make target "make configure"?

Wouldn't it be possible to make this part of a "make cleanall", or whatever
an appropriate metatarget is?

Is there some way to detect when  ./confiugre absolutely needs to be run,
and make that part of some metatarget?

What I envision is that we can have both:

 * running ./configure; make works (and doesn't do way too much work)
 * running "make", or perhaps some target "make confbuild" works and runs
configure.

There is of course the issue that make already runs loads of submakes of
packages, that in turn must run ./configure, so in the sage build process,
"./configure" is already commonly triggered by make. I don't think we'd
want to change that, so it seems to me it makes sense to have "./configure"
run under control of make for sage as well (under certain conditions).