On Thursday, April 30, 2020 at 9:20:00 AM UTC-7, Michael Orlitzky wrote:

> On 4/30/20 11:16 AM, Dima Pasechnik wrote:
> >
> > I think we should just remove this completely, as ipython nowadays has
> > %history magic which certainly can do the same as log_text()
> >

> +1
>
> I feel the same way about functions like search_src() that badly
> reimplement grep (even if they still work).

They're doctested, and they still work. What makes the implementation bad?
They use standard Python library tools to walk a directory tree and then to
do a regexp search on the files there. An advantage to this approach is
that it is standard across platforms, as opposed to implementations of grep
which differ on linux vs OS X (not to mention Solaris and others).