Although a good idea, I don't think I can make it simple enough to set up
inside a data acquisition environment that depends on Python. This would
require installing Maxima and all the connector software. The people using
this are unlikely to do anything that requires more than a `pip
install...`. Once Sagemath can cleanly install using pip, this problem will
be solved on systems with enough processing power and memory. I've almost
get everything needed working already. I will post a link to the github
repository as soon as I post the first version.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.
Jonathan