On Thursday, January 23, 2014 12:07:44 PM UTC+1, John Cremona wrote:

> Yes, I was told that upstream tarballs should not contain any Sage
> changes, those should be done via patches in the install script.  And
> hence upstream tarballs should not have any .p in them.  I did that
> wrongly when I redid the database_stein_watkins optional spkgs for git
> and was told to change it by Jeroen.

Sure, I definitely agree about not "patching" upstream tarballs, except
that some "upstream" tarballs are not really vanilla:
* some stuff might be deleted to save space (and I just would like to
delete a little more in ECL than used to be),
* some autogenerated additional stuff might get added (see the custom
autotools project for ATLAS),
* some addiitonal "binary"  might be added (see the archdef tarballs for
ATLAS).
This situation is kind of exceptional but still problematic.

> Someone like Volker as release manager should probably tell use the real
> story.
>
> Sure, just waiting for some feedback to unlock some tickets.

And thanks for your replies!