François Bissey wrote:
The NEWS file for make 3.81 doesn't have anything that I can really relate
to the problem. However it would be nice to check if upgrading make on your
machine solves this particular problem. Or did I miss that someone else had
troubles with 3.81?

Not in this context. At some point we had trouble with 3.81 and 'make ptest[long]' (GAP and/or ECL IIRC), which did not happen with 3.82 (although again, GNU Make's changelog or NEWS didn't mention anything obviously relevant).

I don't think the *warnings* Karl-Dieter gets with 3.80 cause any harm (other than probably annoying the user). The changes in 3.81 suppress them, but do not change the behaviour w.r.t. '[-]include' and *empty* include file lists; they mainly deal with how 'make' behaves if the files to include don't exist and/or cannot be remade (according to [1] and [2] at least).

-leif

[1] http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?13216

[2] http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?29074