matplotlib as predicted. The following is useful:
http://matplotlib.org/users/customizing.html

You can change your user matplotlibrc to default PDF as the backend.
It could be setup before tests that will call matplotlib with matplotlib.rc()
grep for matplotlibrc to see what you have by default with your sage install.

François