Mon, 14 Dec 2015 15:43:54 -0800 (PST), Volker Braun:

> Here is a final test for the binaries, using the new
> binary packaging. That is, now binaries are patched
> automatically on first run, no more relocation after that.

Thank you for that.

On a MacBook Air running OS X 10.10.5, I downloaded

    sage-6.10.rc1-OSX_10.11.2-x86_64.tar.bz2

from http://files.sagemath.org/binaries/ using Chrome.
The downloaded archive self extracted, producing
a folder called SageMath.

In the Finder, I renamed it SageMath-6.10.rc1 and
copied it to /opt (this required admin authentication).

Then I opened a Terminal and did

    $ cd /opt/SageMath-6.10.rc1
    $ ./sage

and everything seemed to work well.

Similarly

    $ ./sage -n

worked well

I also tried

    $ ./sage -n jupyter

which started the Jupyter notebook server,
and fired up a browser connecting to

    http://localhost:8888/tree

>From there, I couldn't figure out how to navigate
to my home folder to create a jupyter notebook.

So I closed the browser window, and in Terminal
I typed Ctrl-C to stop the Jupyter notebook server,
then changed directory to my home and tried again:

    $ cd ~
    $ /opt/SageMath-6.10.rc1/sage -n jupyter

Then the Jupyter notebook server started, fired up
a browser connecting to it. I saw the listing of my
home folder. I navigated to some place and clicked
"New > SageMath 6.10.rc1", which created a new
Jupyter notebook and popped up the following alert:

    Failed to retrieve MathJax from '/nbextensions/mathjax/MathJax.js'

    Math/LaTeX rendering will be disabled.

    If you have administrative access to the notebook server and a working
internet connection, you can install a local copy of MathJax for offline
use with the following command on the server at a Python or Jupyter prompt:

        >>> from Jupyter.external import mathjax; mathjax.install_mathjax()

    This will try to install MathJax into the Jupyter source directory.

    If Jupyter is installed to a location that requires administrative
privileges to write, you will need to make this call as an administrator,
via 'sudo'.

    When you start the notebook server, you can instruct it to disable
MathJax support altogether:

        $ ipython notebook --no-mathjax

    which will prevent this dialog from appearing.

I clicked "OK" and gave the Jupyter notebook a try.
Most things work. Some don't.

- As expected given the above warning,
  maths in markdown cells doesn't work, for instance
  I changed the type of a cell to markdown and input

      The identity $a^2 - b^2 = (a - b)*(a + b)$ is remarkable.

   and it was displayed as is, latex was not rendered.

- plotting worked.

- something seems wrong with jmol, I input

      plot3d(lambda x, y: x*y, (-2, 2), (-2, 2))

  and this gives an output field that seems empty but long
  (the next input cell is pushed down quite a bit).

I'd love to hear explanations about any of the issues
I mentioned above. Some of the failures might have to
do with the SageMath 6.10.rc1 release while others
might have to do with the binary packaging, and some
might have to do with using OS X 10.11 binaries under
OS X 10.10.

Let me conclude by mentioning that I also downloaded
the SageMath 6.10.rc1 tarball and built Sage, I get other
issues which I'll report in the corresponding thread.

Best,
Samuel