Hi

On 4 February 2016 at 12:20, HG <henri.gir...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Following the ppa sage link, I tried to install sage-7, it works fine.
> Time for patching, but no problem.
> I use two version of sagemath the ppa and developer one (which I compile)
> and after I compile sagemanifolds (which I can't do at the moment with the
> ppa because it's installed system-wide).
> Thanks for this good work
> Henri

If you run sagemath-upstream-binary-full it is technically possible to run
sage manifolds. We had this deployed on campus last week. But you have to
reinstall it after every upgrade. It is bad because:

1) you should not compile as root. There is a past bug where compiling some
package would delete a system file [1]
<http://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/9551>. Malicious code could hose or
rootkit your system. We plan in future to have the sage tree owned by a
sagemath user, which will alleviate that (only) if people remember to
change to that user before customizing / adding optional packages and
rebuilding.

2) bad practice since dpkg (or your distro package manager) is supposed to
manage the system files, but it is technically possible.

It will not work with sagemath-upstream-binary (without -full) since the
SAGE_ROOT/src folder is missing and many files you need for rebuilding sage.

I will try to release a 7.0.1 (rather than waiting for 7.1) which also
fixes the smaller sagemath-upstream-binary in the PPAs. Note 7.0 is now in
the stable PPA for 14.04.

Regards,
Jan

--