On 2016-10-21 16:11, Jeroen Demeyer wrote:
It consistently shows up while running doctests, but not in an
interactive Sage session. I have no idea what is going on.

OK, got it. This problem happens whenever gmpy2 (a package I have been playing with recently but which is not in Sage) is imported because it changes the GMP/MPIR memory allocation functions.

It turns out that the doctester imports sympy to "Disable SymPy terminal width detection", which imports mpmath, which imports gmpy2.