On 2017-01-24 10:54, John Cremona wrote:
Quite possibly.  If I use pip to install something and it tells me
that my pip os out of date I usually obey instructions and update it.
Should I not have done?

Depends. If you want all doctests to pass: no, you should not have done that.

And what should I do to fix this (apart from make clean; make)?

I guess you could try re-installing pip using "./sage -f pip"