> On macOS 10.10.5 (aka "Yosemite"), with Homebrew installed,
> after renaming /usr/local and /opt/local so they don't interfere,
> building Sage 8.2.rc2 succeeds.
>
> However, trying to install jupyterlab via pip does not work:
>
>     $ sage --pip install jupyterlab
>     Collecting jupyterlab
>       Could not fetch URL https://pypi.python.org/simple/jupyterlab/:
>       There was a problem confirming the ssl certificate: [SSL:
>       TLSV1_ALERT_PROTOCOL_VERSION] tlsv1 alert protocol version
>       (_ssl.c:661) - skipping
>       Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement
>       jupyterlab (from versions: )
>     No matching distribution found for jupyterlab
>
> (while it worked fine with Sage 8.2.rc1).
>
> Does anyone else observe that too?

A quick web search reveals this:

- StackOverflow question:
  https://stackoverflow.com/q/49748063
- Answer by original poster to above question:
  https://stackoverflow.com/a/49748494

So I will try the upgrade to pip 9.0.3 which is part of

- Sage trac ticket #25051: Add DESTDIR support to additional
  Python packages; upgrade pip to latest patch release
  https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/25051