On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 1:05 PM E. Madison Bray <erik.m.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 11:45 AM Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 7:52 AM E. Madison Bray <erik.m.b...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't know why the rush to call this a release candidate when there are
> > > clearly still several outstanding problems to be resolved before the next
> > > release.
> > >
> > > As usual absolutely zero communication of a plan or coordination with the
> > > community.
> > >
> > my ongoing complaint is the lack of progress on the improving the
> > release procedures to make it easy to change the configure package.
> > At the moment it is extremely sub-optimal, with endless merge
> > conflicts resulting solely from the need to have the ticket branch
> > that changes configure.ac, spkg-configure.m4 files, and its friends,
> > such as sage/big/sage-env* things coming with its configure "package"
> > tarball. This leaves tickets of this sort languishing for months, as
> > it's not really possible to get them in sync with the ongoing release
> > process (already due to configure tarballs coming with artificial
> > version numbers, that should not clash etc).
> >
> > I continue to think that the release process should not require
> > updates of configure package. Sage seems to unique in its insistence
> > on the release process depending on the autogenerated dumps...
>
> One very easily solution to this, and I know some people will shudder
> (myself included) is to simply include the configure script in the
> repository.  Yes, it's generated.  But there's precedent for this.

well, it would make running patchbots easier, but
I don't see how this would help the release management,
as auto-merging would be still be out of the question.

The auto-generated crud is simply unmergable, by and large.

The patchbots are largely an orthogonal issue here.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-release/CAAWYfq295TLc7cFO5jJSZD9VqFuBFxEdfYDuju15w0TQ5EH3Sw%40mail.gmail.com.