2020-09-16 09:51:38 UTC, Eric Gourgoulhon:

> On Ubuntu 20.04 running on Intel Core i7-8665U + 32 GB RAM:
>
> - build (-j8) from a fresh git clone with a maximum of system
>   packages (details below), including the system Python (3.8.2): OK
> - all tests from ptestlong passed
>
> Details of build:
> As recommended in [...]
> the following Ubuntu 20.04 packages were installed before the build:
>
> sudo apt-get install [...]
>
> Then, after running
>
> make configure
> ./configure
>
> I've installed [...] as recommended in the outcome of configure:
>
> sudo apt-get install [...]
>
> I then ran
>
> ./config.status --recheck && ./config.status
>
> which yielded the following recommendation:
>
> configure: hint: installing the following system packages
> is recommended and may avoid building some of the above SPKGs
> from source:
> configure:   $ sudo apt-get update
>   $ sudo apt-get install libcdd-dev libcdd-tools libnauty-dev
>
> However these packages are already installed in the system:

Recommendations of packages to install can still be improved,
see the dedicated ticket:

  https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/29586

but we need to balance the maintenance effort with the gains.

In this case, what you can conclude is:

- satisfactory versions of these packages (or possibly packages
  that depend on them) for that OS were not found
- on some version of that OS, satisfactory versions of these
  packages exist that would avoid having to build them

and what we should do about it is probably adapt the wording
to better convey that. For instance:

hint: installing the following system packages, if not already
present, is recommended and may avoid building some SPKGs from
source (though some may have to be built anyway):
[...]