> On Feb 7, 2021, at 14:04, Volker Braun <vbraun.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> As always, you can get the latest beta version from the "develop" git branch.
> Alternatively, the self-contained source tarball is at
> http://www.sagemath.org/download-latest.html

I’ve been off on a tangent for a while, and am just getting back to this.

I am using macOS 10.15.7, and have had the same problem, starting with
9.3-beta2:

“make configure” gives me this for each:

gettext and the gettextize program must be installed and be in
your PATH. E.g. Homebrew installs them in /usr/local/opt/gettext/bin.
Bootstrap failed, downloading required files instead.
Using cached file
/Users/Sage/sage-9.3.beta1/upstream/configure-ee1d038453af9bb563b79ab9bdbb08c18540207a.tar.gz
tar: Error opening archive: Failed to open
'upstream/configure-ee1d038453af9bb563b79ab9bdbb08c18540207a.tar.gz'
make: *** [configure] Error 1

(Differing name fo the tarball).  This does not happen on macOS 10.13., where I
build successfully for each.

FWIW, there is no “upstream” directory in any of the failing SAGE_ROOTs.

Have not seen similar problems reported.

I do not have Homebrew (or other package manager) installed.

Thoughts?  Pointers?

Thanks!

Justin