On 7/2/07, David Harvey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Because I is the square root of -1.

Yep.  If you want I to be a symbolic variable do

sage: I = var('I')
sage: a = E == I * R
sage: solve(a, R)
[R == (E/I)]

In general, it is always a good idea to use the var command to
explicitly construct any symbolic variables you are going to use.
It's a flexible and easy-to-use command.  Not only does it
allow many variables in input (separated by spaces), but it
returns them as a tuple and also defines all the variables
as a side effect (at least when used interactively from the prompt):

sage: var('a b I XYZ theta')
(a, b, I, XYZ, theta)
sage: theta
theta