On Aug 23, 6:04 pm, "David Joyner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi:

Hello David,

> I'm wondering if the following is correct behavior:
>
> sage: x,y=PolynomialRing(QQ,2,"xy").gens()
> sage: f = 5*x+y-5
> sage: f(1,1)
>  1
> sage: type(f(1,1))
>  <type
> 'sage.rings.polynomial.multi_polynomial_libsingular.MPolynomial_libsingular'>
>
> I usually think of the values of a polynomial as belonging to the
> ground ring as opposed to the polynomial ring.

Robert Bradshaw pointed out to me (in #sage-devel a couple days ago,
we were talking about some other Cython issue on Solaris) that the
exact problem you mention above is a problem in the coercion code. The
result should be in the ground ring. You might want to open a ticket
for that.

> - David Joyner

Cheers,

Michael