By coincidence, I recently installed sage from source on a fresh
ubuntu install and the instructions on
http://www.sagemath.org/doc/html/inst/node5.html
worked for me. In other words, if you type

 sudo apt-get install gcc-4.2-base      # or the latest version available
 sudo apt-get install make
 sudo apt-get install m4
 sudo apt-get install bison
 sudo apt-get install flex
 sudo apt-get install tar
 sudo apt-get install perl
 sudo apt-get install binutils
 sudo apt-get install libstdc++6-dev
 sudo apt-get install g++

then extract and make the sage tarball as William describes below,
it should install fine. It may take an hour or so to finish
compilation though.