For the record, I am able to successfully (if slowly) build Sage on my
aging laptop with 512MB of RAM.  So it seems that the critical value
is somewhere between 256 and 512.

On the other hand I'm not sure that I have actually done this since
about 2.9 and it gets bigger (and better!) with each release!

John