On Apr 21, 1:59 am, gary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi Gary,

> I've installed sage 2.11 on Kubuntu 7.10, and I'm   poking around.
>
> In the tutorial, sec 2.9.2 (?) there are 3D graphics examples using
> jmol.  When I run these (adding show(P) to the scripts) jmol reports
> that it is starting, but all I get is a black rectangle with the
> letters "jmol" in the lower right corner.  I've got a newly installed
> java:  1.6.0_05, I think.
>
> I *can* see the demos on the jmol website.  Also, I've installed the
> vmware version on the same machine (dual boot) and everything there
> seems to work ok.

This usually indicates that somewhere you end up using the GNU java
toolchain and that works less than stellar. Re VMWare: Is that VMWare
on Linux or Windows?

> any ideas ??

Not really, but IIRC there is some mechanism in Ubuntu land in general
to select the default java. I just don't know what it is :( and I will
be sure that somebody else knows ;)

> -gary

Cheers,

Michael