I would like to know if someone as used Sage with undergraduate
students. My question is mainly a question about the material which
would be necessary.

We are currently building a project (this means: asking for money, doing
a lot a bureaucracy and so on) on Sage in my University: the idea is to
start the replacement of  the current commercial system (Maple) by Sage.
Nowadays, students use Maple on a network of Windows machines.  We would
like to make a large Sage server so that all the students use the web
interface.

I can add to Sage an identification on the ldap server (actually active
directory) of the University, and Sage accounts will be  created
automatically.

The more difficult question for us is: which machine? One can expect to
have about 200 students using Sage at the same time, with large
subgroups of students doing the same thing at the same time. Ok, as it
is undergraduate students, they will not make very large computations...
But what about the "scalability" of Sage, of the web server?

We are currently looking at machines with 2x4 core processors, 32 gb of
RAM, 2x450 Gb of disk (raid1). Larger machines exists, but are extremely
expensive. We can ask for two machines like this.

As anyone some experience in this domain?

Yours,
t.d.
begin:vcard
fn:Thierry Dumont
n:Dumont;Thierry
org;quoted-printable:CNRS - Universit=C3=A9 Lyon 1. / Villeurbanne France.;Institut Camille Jordan
adr:;;43 Bd du 11 Novembre;Villeurbanne Cedex;F;69621;France
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title;quoted-printable:Ing=C3=A9nieur de Recherche/Research Ingineer
tel;work:(33) 4 72 44 85 23
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://math.univ-lyon1.fr/~tdumont
version:2.1