Hmmm.  As far as I know you can use _ as a placeholder for a variable, and
it's meant for this kind of use (where you don't really want to introduce a
new variable name).  It's strange that it doesn't work for you.  Can you
post the error message that you get?

I guess it's not a big deal since you can always use x as you did, but if
it's really not working it might be a sign of other trouble.

Alex

--
Alex Ghitza -- Lecturer in Mathematics -- The University of Melbourne --
Australia -- http://www.ms.unimelb.edu.au/~aghitza/