William,  Sorry having problems first I can't seem to cut and past
from VMware to windows

The screen looks like.

Welcome to Sage: http://www.sagemath.org

Type one of the following.

   notebook -- start the Sage notebook server
   off          -- turn this machine off
   manage --- ect
  sage  --  run the sage command line

sage login:

If I type "notebook" it just reprints the above message.  It does not
seem to start a server.  Do I need to set an option in VMplayer?

My second point was that I can run the tutorial from the Sage command
line.  However, if I try "show" or "plot" from the command line
version of sage I get no graphics.

I also tried to run notebook from the command line sage, and It did
not work.  As you pointed it without the server running in vmplayer it
should not have worked.

So I think I have two questions.  1. Why does the notebook command not
work from the above screen?  Do I need to set up network connections
options in VMplayer?

2.  Should I be able to run graphics from the command line version of
sage?

Thanks Mike