The current interface to polymake is pretty minimal, a lot more could
be done to improve it.  You need to install the polymake optional spkg
for it to work - this installs a full-fledged version of polymake that
you could use on its own as well.  Last time I checked the spkg was
broken, but in a minor way, you just need to change the version of
cddlib referenced in the spkg install.

Rather than improve the polymake interface, I've been adding more sage-
native polytope functionality lately, in the sage/geometry/
polyhedra.py file.  (Arnaud Bergeron has also contributed to that
effort.)  I am very interested in what you want to do and exactly what
functionality you need.  There are some substantial improvements to
polyhedra.py that will be in sage-3.2, and a little more will probably
wait until sage-3.2.1.

Cheers,
Marshall Hampton