On Nov 22, 10:56 pm, Tim Lahey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Nov 23, 2008, at 1:41 AM, William Stein wrote:

<SNIP>

> It's my understanding that Axiom is best in breed for integration, so
> it may be best to use that.

It is my understand that it cannot compete with MMA or Maple there and
various people have claimed that Maxima's integration code is better
than the code in Axiom. I do not know if that is true. Anyway, in the
next Maxima release there will be a lot of improvements to Maxima's
integration code by Dieter Kaiser who seems to be working a lot in
that area. In the very end I cannot see any alternative that we write
our own code (since Axiom as well as Maxima can only be used via
pexpect), but that is certainly a long and thorny path.

> Cheers,
>
> Tim.

Cheers,

Michael