On Dec 14, 11:16 pm, "William Stein" <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 10:53 PM, John H Palmieri
>
> <jhpalmier...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have some code which generates a bunch of expressions of the form
> > Sum (n_i a_i) where each n_i is an integer and each a_i is an unknown
> > in a field, and I'm most interested in the case when the field is GF
> > (p). Set each of these expressions equal to zero.  What's the best way
> > in Sage to solve the resulting system of equations for the a_i's?
>
> > For example, I can't figure out how to use 'solve', because I can't
> > figure out how to insist that the variables be treated as elements of
> > a particular field.  Is the only way to convert everything to a matrix
> > equation?
>
> Is p big or small?  Just to be clear above, are you *really* just
> solving a system of linear equations modulo p?

p is small.  For each prime p >= 2 and for each integer n >= 3, I have
a system of equations modulo p in n-1 variables. I am interested in
solving the system for each pair (p,n) for all values of p and n. I
understand the characteristic zero situation, and I know about how big
the coefficients are, so I understand what happens if p is large
relative to n; I want to see what happens in the other case. (For what
it's worth, the number of equations is equal to the number of
partitions of n into three parts.)

And yes, I'm solving a homogeneous linear system mod p.

  John