On Jan 6, 12:03 pm, gellmu <gel...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

> The following warning appears when sage (Version 3.2, Release Date:
> 2008-11-20), a binary build distributed as "sage-3.2-ubuntu32bit-intel-
> i686-Linux.tar.gz" from modular.fas.harvard, is opened in Ubuntu 8.04.
>
> I guess this is because my CPU is AMD Sempron(tm) Processor LE-1300.
>
>    *************************************************************
>    WARNING!  This Sage install was built on a machine that supports
>    instructions that are not available on this computer.  Sage will
>    likely fail with ILLEGAL INSTRUCTION errors! The following
> processor
>    flags were on the build machine but are not on this computer:
>
>    constant_tsc acpi ss ssse3 dts

Hmm constant_tsc, acpi and dts shouldn't be in there - this might be a
bug.

>    Emailhttp://groups.google.com/group/sage-supportfor help.
>    *************************************************************
>
> I tried a few simple things at the command line that resulted in the
> auto-loading of both maxima and gap, and they seemed to work.

You should run "make check" from $SAGE_ROOT to see if anything blows
up since the affected code that relies on SSE3 if it is available is
in ATLAS for example and that isn't tested via GAP or Maxima.

> How likely is it that these processor flags will be a real issue?

Non-zero, i.e. there is some definite concern that this will cause
trouble.

> Thanks.
>
> -- Bill

Cheers,