When I try to view the frst demo I get this (and similarly from within
Sage) in a yellow fram in the window.

You do not have Java applets enabled in your web browser, or your
browser is blocking this applet.
Check the warning message from your browser and/or enable Java applets in
your web browser preferences, or install the Java Runtime Environment
from www.java.com

In the past I tried several ways to solve this but to no avail: I *do*
have Java applets enabled in Firefox, there is no warning message from
Firefox, and I have all sorts of version of JRE installed (this is in
ubuntu).  I just gave up, since I can do without graphics, but it
would be nice to know what the problem is.

John Cremona