On Apr 27, 2009, at 11:46 , rvaug...@gmail.com wrote:

> I have successfully installed the latest sage on a Fedora Core 9
> machine
> (name of machine: strings358).  It seems to work fine.
>
> One of my users wishes to access this remotely from his Mac OS laptop.
>
> When he runs sage on his laptop, it tells him to open his browser
> to http://localhost:8000.
>
> What do I tell him?  How can he access the sage instance on strings358
> via his browser over the web?

In order to access the sage instance running on 'string358', from his
laptop running somewhere else in the network, he needs to be able to
access 'string358'.

Normally, this would be something like "http://string358.google.edu";
for web access.  Then just append the ":8000:".

The ":8000" says to use port 8000, instead of the well-known port 80
for http access (we do this to avoid conflicts on systems that already
run a webserver).

> And is there *any* documentation re installation/configuration of
> Sage?

The is a fair amount of documentation that comes with sage and is
separately available on the sage website:
      <http://www.sagemath.org/doc>

The documentation you want may not be there, or it may not be where
you expect it to be.  If either is the case, send mail to this list
indicating the problems you see.

HTH

Justin

--