a) Same problem. Sage 3.2.3 runs, Sage 3.4.1 does not run. Both on
WindowsXP, Service Pack 3, with VMware-player-2.5.2-156735. I tried on
two different computers (one with XP-Professional, one with XP-home)
but both with Service Pack 3.

b) I tried to type "manage" instead of "notebook", then  "sudo su" and
then "sage".
Following happened on the first computer:

  Sage Version 3.4.1, Release Date: 2009-04-21
  Type notebook() for the GUI, and license () for information.
  /usr/local/sage/bin/sage-sage: line 198: 4057 Illegal
instruction     sage-ipython "$@" -i
  r...@sage:/home/manage# _

Following happened on the second computer:

  Sage Version 3.4.1, Release Date: 2009-04-21
  Type notebook() for the GUI, and license () for information.

  Warning! This Sage install was build on a machine that supports
instructions
  that are not available on this   computer. Sage will likely fail
with Illegal
  Instruction errors! The following processor flags were on the build
machine
  but are not on this vomputer:
  sse2

  Email ...
  r...@sage:/home/manage# sage
   .... and then again I got the error message regarding line 198 like
above.