kcrisman wrote:

>> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 6:04 AM, kcrisman <kcris...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Is there something internal to find_root that does this, or should
>>> there be different syntax?  find_root? says a symbolic equality is ok
>>> for input, and nothing about deprecation.  It would indeed be tedious
>>> to have to define a polynomial ring just to do this computation.
>> Currently in my tree with pynac being the default for symbolic
>> expressions, this isn't an issue.  So, it should be fixed in 4.0 which
>> is planned for May 15th.  Depending how much time I have, I may make a
>> patch for 3.4.2.
>
> Thanks.  Hmm, but just using var('x',ns=1) didn't fix the problem for
> me - it found this problem:
> sage/numerical/optimize.pyc in find_root(f, a, b, xtol, rtol, maxiter,
> full_output)
>      58     if a > b:
>      59         a, b = b, a
> ---> 60     left = f(a)
> But certainly don't bother with a patch unless find_root all of a
> sudden no longer will work under pynac. I did still get the correct
> answer, after all!

Carl Witty might comment on this as well.  If I recall correctly, there
was an exception in the deprecation made for numerical integrals and
plotting of single-variable functions.  Perhaps there should have been
an exception for find_root as well?  Or perhaps the syntax to find_root
should be changed so that we specify the variable:

find_root(f, (x, a, b)) or find_root(f, x, a, b) or something.

Or perhaps mhansen has a better solution and we just need to be patient...

Jason

--
Jason Grout