Hi,

On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 10:53 AM, Alasdair <amc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I generally use my CAS's (Maple, Maxima, Sage at the moment) in an
> xterm, unless I have some application which requires graphics.  But
> there are one or two interface issues which would make xterm/console
> mode much more  pleasant to use.  In no particular order:
>
> * Different colours (user specified) for prompt, input and output
> * Output automatically "pretty-printed" and centered

Can you give some specific examples of what you would like to see?

> * (This is a more general Sage issue): when a variable is defined, as
> in "x=sqrt(y^2+1)" it is automatically printed to the screen, unless
> the user requests otherwise (say, with a semi-colon)

If this can be done, I hope it would be optional or easy to turn off
-- I'm quite fond of the current behaviour.

> Is there any easy way of coercing Sage to act like this?

You would probably need to tweak the preparser and play with ipython,
but I don't know enough about this to actually do it...

Best,
Alex

--
Alex Ghitza -- Lecturer in Mathematics -- The University of Melbourne
-- Australia -- http://www.ms.unimelb.edu.au/~aghitza/