On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 12:34 PM, Jason Grout wrote:
>> Bill Page wrote:
>> Ok thanks. I recall the discussion and I can indeed write:
>>
>> sage: f=lambda x:RR(x).nth_root(3)
>> sage: f(-2.0)
>> -1.25992104989487
>>
>> but I think I'll let my earlier comment stand:

> Of course, you're welcome to suggest a way.  Note that in earlier
> threads, having a switch that determines which root to pick has
> been negatively viewed.

-1

> What about changing the name of the above function to:
>
> RR(x).real_root(3) ?
>
> That would certainly be easier to find and would be a bit more
> descriptive.  Of course, right now, there is an nth_root function for
> complex numbers that also would have to be addressed.

-0

> Or what about making real_root a method for any number (or
> real_nth_root, or make nth_root take an argument for a target
> domain, like RR or RDF)?

Perhaps we should continue this discussion on sage-devel if there is
some reall interest in resolving this issue?

What I personally would really prefer is that

   x^(1/3)

call '.nth_root(3)' because (1/3) is an element of Rational Field. I
suppose this requires some small change to the coercion system. Then

  x^(1.0/3.0)

or equivalently

  x^RR(1/3)

could continue to behave as it does now.

Regards,
Bill Page.