Not sure if this is what you are after, but the following would give you
the solution:
sage: solve([e1,e2],c,a)
[[c == (d - b*e)/e, a == d/e]]

You can give n equations to solve and solve for n variables. Solve will
insert one into another automatically.

An equation has a different syntax to a substitution rule, so if you
want to substitute what is in an equation, you could write
sage: e2(a=eq1.rhs())

Not sure if there is a better way of transforming equations into
substitution rules. Perhaps the dict() function could help? You can
substitute a dictionary of variables, e.g.
sage: vars = dict(a = b + c)
sage: e2.subs(vars)

However, again the dict() arguments have a single equal sign, not a
double one as an equation. I'm sure someone can explain this much more
elegantly.

Regards,
Stan