Maybe this was some sort of path issue I don't understand, but when I
tried things again it seemed to work, i.e. if I go into my SAGE_ROOT
folder and use either sage or the sage python, the "import nifti"
works.  So what I described above seems to be sufficient, and this
could be made into an spkg.  I will give that a try tomorrow if I can
find the time.

-Marshall Hampton