On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 6:08 AM, kcrisman <kcris...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Would all these ideas for testing deal with the triangulation issue,
> Bill?  Your original post seems to imply this.
>
> - kcrisman

I thought that, during triangulation, we could test for NaN values and
delete those faces. However, I see now that ParametricSurface.triangulate
assumes a regular indexing scheme for the _faces array, so the array must be
full. This means that deleting faces must be performed after the mesh has
been triangulated, unless we want to change the algorithm significantly.

Jason Grout and I actually dealt with these same issues when working on
#5514, exclusions for parametric 3D plots, which unfortunately is not
entirely finished. Perhaps a better way to get plot3d to handle functions
with undefined values would be to finish work on #5514, and then after we
encounter undefined values apply a region function (this is the feature that
#5514 implements) that serves to exclude those values. I should have
recognized this at the beginning!

Does that sound like a good course of action? I can definitely revisit
#5514.