Another similar question involves using the local version of GAP
in place of the supplied one.
Apart from the fact that Sage is distributed with an old and (a bit)
broken version of GAP,
(well, I know that I can install a newer version by downloading the
corresponding update)
having two copies of GAP is awkward, just given the fact that a full
installation of GAP with all
the packages and libraries is quite huge.
(well, maybe it is psychological difficulty, as I use (and
occasionally develop small bits of) GAP since
1994... :))

Best,
Dmitrii