On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 10:26:41 -0800 (PST), "rvaug...@gmail.com"
<rvaug...@gmail.com> wrote:

> However: I'm obviously not crazy about running
> my machine w/ the firewall disabled.
> Is there a way to config the firewall such that
> the firewall is enabled AND Sage can be run remotely?
> Possibly specify WWW (HTTP) and/ or Secure WWW (HTTPS)
> as Trusted Services?

System-level configuration is not uniform across Linux distributions, so
without knowing what particular distribution you are using it is hard to
give you precise advice.

For instance, my distribution is Archlinux, and I just use the simple
host access control specified by /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny.
The syntax of these is fairly simple and "man hosts.allow" tells me all
about it.  I would for instance put

in /etc/hosts.deny:
  ALL: ALL

to deny all requests by default, together with

in /etc/hosts.allow:
  SSHD: ALL

to let all ssh login requests through.

I don't need an elaborate firewall setup because this is just my laptop
sitting on my behind a router that also only allows ssh through.
Someone running a Linux server might use iptables to set up a proper
firewall with more complicated rules.  So what I would do in your
situation is to find out what firewall software is enabled on your
machine and then google "XYZ ABC configuration", where XYZ is your Linux
distribution and ABC is the firewall software.

Best,
Alex

--
Alex Ghitza -- Lecturer in Mathematics -- The University of Melbourne
-- Australia -- http://www.ms.unimelb.edu.au/~aghitza/