On Jan 9, 12:17 am, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> well, that's if you want to do Sage development, isn't it?
> >> (I'd be surprised if Sage needs a gcc compiler for a binary install)
>
> > Well, the installation of optional SPKGs currently relies on the
> > availability of a compiler. If you are happy with loosing optional SPKGs
> > then you are right.
>
> > In theory one could introduce the concept of "binary SPKGs" (though I'd
> > take a hard look at alternative, pre-written distribution mechanisms
> > first).
>
> > Dag Sverre
>
> In addition, Cython doesn't work at all without a compiler.  It's very
> reasonable that Sage end users would use Cython with Sage, and for
> this they need a compiler.   The tight integration of Sage and Cython
> (e.g., %cython mode in the notebook) is one of the "killer features"
> of Sage, and it vanishes without a C compiler.
>
> We didn't used to ship GCC (or other tools) with Sage (via Cygwin) for
> Windows, though maybe we should have.  We just shipped some relevant
> DLL's.
>
> There are some weird and very painful Windows-inherited relocation
> issues with Cygwin and dynamic loading of shared object libraries, by
> the way, which do make things hard.  Maybe they aren't as bad these
> days (I don't know).
>
> Anyway, Dima, thanks for sorting my position that a Cygwin port of
> Sage would be very valuable indeed!
William,
You are welcome.

IMHO, it might be more reasonable to require Cygwin with the right
tools (gcc + cython + whatever else is needed) being pre-installed,
than to package everything in one mega-bundle.
(one could perhaps have a custom Cygwin installer, with right things
selected, provided)

Although I understand that I touch upon a sensitive issue of packaging
Sage in general... :)

By the way, anything new about moving to the newest GAP version?

Dmitrii