Dear Robert,

I wrote a SAGE worksheet for my freshman calculus class
last semester implementing the Newton-Raphson algorithm
for finding roots of functions to arbitrary precision.
You'll find it unduly didactic, I'm afraid, but a few of
the cells toward the end might be the sort of thing you're
looking for.  The worksheet can be found as a text file at:

  http://gmarks.co.cc/nr.txt

Comments and critiques from all are certainly welcome.

Sincerely,
Greg

    | Greg Marks                                     |
    | Department of Mathematics and Computer Science |
    | St. Louis University                           |
    | St. Louis, MO 63103-2007                       |
    | U.S.A.                                         |
    | Phone: (314)977-7206                           |
    | Fax: (314)977-1452                             |
    | Web: http://math.slu.edu/~marks                |