On Feb 27, 2010, at 6:22 PM, Dima Pasechnik wrote:

In a sage function I need to use Sage's built-in types, say, vector.
E,g,

def foo(bar):
 from ???? import vector as v
 a=v(bar)

How do I find out from where it has to be imported?
(I haven't come up with anything better than running a grep on devel/
sage/sage/*/*.py* looking for vector and import)

Is this from a Python script? If so the safest way is to do "from sage.all import vector as v" as there is sensitivity in the order things are imported. In the library, you'll have to see where it's defined, or do something like "from sage.modules.all import vector as v" if you're using it from a non sage.modules package. Usually you don't want to be too specific, or that created unneeded dependancies (the current order things get imported in is a mess...).

The easiest way to see is to do

sage: vector.__module__
'sage.modules.free_module_element'

- Robert