On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 12:05 AM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Then at least the data can be manipulated.  It seems to me that this
> should be at least as good as what we already have.    The student
> suggested that one could even "connect the dots" using some sort of
> optimization technique.
>
> But maybe I'm totally wrong.  I have a bad feeling I'm being naive.  Thoughts?

I think this is worse than handing it off to matplotlib as we do now.
The data in xy_data_array is just the fast_float'd function evaluated
on a grid.  The only drawback with the current approach is that it's
not immediately obvious what the points chosen are.  They come from
sage.plot.misc.setup_for_eval_on_grid, but are not saved after the
plot is made since they aren't needed.  The code to compute the ranges
could be easily factored out of that function and made accessible.

--Mike