Thanks so much for the quick help !!!
I am running sage on ubuntu,
First I downloaded the version from the package installer in ubuntu.
(Synaptic package manager, package sage)
and because I had troubles, i decided to download the lastes version
for ubuntu on the website of sage.
(but I am not so sure which of the two versions I am actually running
now, I guess the second one, if i did the install procedure correctly
[I copied the directory in /opt/ nad then made a symbolic link with
the ln command])

but still the same problem.
it appears to be version 3.0.5, see bellow also the test. (I can do
2+2, and start a maxima console  I can even plot a circle actually)

jul...@harvardo:~$ sage
| SAGE Version 3.0.5, Release Date: 2008-07-11                       |
| Type notebook() for the GUI, and license() for information.        |

sage:
sage:
sage: 2+2
4
sage: maxima_console()

Maxima 5.17.1 http://maxima.sourceforge.net
Using Lisp GNU Common Lisp (GCL) GCL 2.6.7 (aka GCL)
Distributed under the GNU Public License. See the file COPYING.
Dedicated to the memory of William Schelter.
The function bug_report() provides bug reporting information.
(%i1)