On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 17:29:52 -0500, Oscar Gerardo Lazo Arjona
<algebraicame...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello people! I came across this problem while trying to install an spkg:
>
> checking pcre.h presence... no
> checking for pcre.h... no
> configure: error: Need the pcre library; get it from
> http://www.pcre.org/ . Make sure to set CPPFLAGS if necessary.
> make: *** No se especificó ningún objetivo y no se encontró ningún
> makefile.  Alto.
> make: *** No hay ninguna regla para construir el objetivo `install'.  Alto.
>
> real    0m5.867s
> user    0m2.736s
> sys    0m2.916s
> sage: An error occurred while installing cadabra-0.115
> Please email sage-devel http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel
> explaining the problem and send the relevant part of
> of /home/oscar/sage-4.5.2/install.log.  Describe your computer,
> operating system, etc.
> If you want to try to fix the problem yourself, *don't* just cd to
> /home/oscar/sage-4.5.2/spkg/build/cadabra-0.115 and type 'make check' or
> whatever is appropriate.
> Instead, the following commands setup all environment variables
> correctly and load a subshell for you to debug the error:
> (cd '/home/oscar/sage-4.5.2/spkg/build/cadabra-0.115' &&
> '/home/oscar/sage-4.5.2/sage' -sh)
> When you are done debugging, you can type "exit" to leave the
> subshell.

> But I do have pcre installed on my ubuntu 10.04 system. If I type man
> pcre I get a man page for perl compatible regular expressions, but if I
> type pcre I get a pcre: command not found

I don't have a way to test this right now, but it looks very much like
the usual Ubuntu package thing where the header files are in the *-dev
package.  In your case, I would try installing libpcre3-dev and see if
it helps (it does include pcre.h, for instance).

Note also that pcre is a library so there is no pcre executable to run.

Best,
Alex

--
Alex Ghitza -- http://aghitza.org/
Lecturer in Mathematics -- The University of Melbourne -- Australia