On 13/09/2010 17:31, Håkan Granath wrote:
In certain cases I get nothing from the continued_fraction function
in the latest Sage version:

| Sage Version 4.5.3, Release Date: 2010-09-04                       |
| Type notebook() for the GUI, and license() for information.        |
sage: a=sqrt(2).n()*sqrt(2)
sage: continued_fraction(a)
[]

Try doing
continued_fraction(a,bits=100)
This solves the problem for me. I believe the issue is that with the default precision it doesn't know if the number is less than or greater than 2, so it can't determine the first quotient. the number 100 was fairly arbitrary, the default I think is 52.

HTH

Alastair
In version 4.5.2 the output was

[2, 2251799813685248]